Patrina-Metzger/Alternate Image of the Year
The maker captured a beautiful, warm human moment. Wonderful. Black and white was the perfect medium to focus the viewer’s attention on the pair’s complementary facial expressions as well as their expressive hands.
Kennedy/Portrait of the Year
Extremely creative human portrait with a lot of emotion. This is an instance where the maker has skillfully broken “the rules” by alternating overexposed and underexposed lighting to, I believe, reflect tension. It effectively focuses attention on the subject’s eyes.
5 Pictures Per Maker
Each year the images that score well in the club’s monthly competitions are evaluated by an independent judge from outside the club. That judge selects a winning image for each of the club’s 8 trophies. Each winning photographer and the year of their win are listed below under the name of each trophy.
- Robert Strindberg Memorial Award – Best Nature Image
- Patrina/Metzger Award – Alternate Class Best Image of the Year
- Patrick K. Doherty Award – Photo Travel
- Nathan Gutman Memorial Award – Best Creative Image
- Judy Rabinowitz Award – Alternate Class Photo Travel
- John R. Kennedy Memorial Award – Portrait of the Year
- John McGarry Award – Best Image of the Year
- Ed Emmons Award – Alternate Class Best Nature Image
In addition, the names of the winners of now retired awards for slide and print competitions are also listed below, the oldest dating to 1960.